Oral contraception & Review on yasmin-an oral contraceptive pill!
Ladies and gals..
I’m gona write about an ocp called yasmin..
Most of us would have used a pill in some part of our life, not only as a contraception,but also could be for menorrhagia(excessive bleeding), irregular or no periods or even for dysmenorrhia..
the other indications of ocp are:
1. treatment of severe acne
2. pre menstrual syndrome
And whats the most worrisome issue regarding using pills? gaining weight, rite?
I got married 6 months back and since both us are doctors were quite free to talk of contraception and as usual we decided on taking pills, ovral was my choice since it has the least amount of estrogen in it and is the most effective contraception available easily with the least of side effects..
Before I talk further, let me tell u about the advantages and disadvantages of pills
· Headaches. Headaches may start in women who have not previously had headaches, or can get worse in those who do.
· Depression.Depression (sometimes severe) and other mood changes may occur.
· Nausea and vomiting.This side effect usually goes away after the first few months of use or can be prevented by taking the pill with a meal.
· Breast tenderness.
· Breakthrough bleeding or spotting
· Weight gain. Some women report slight weight gain. Weight gain is often caused by fluid retention or estrogen-induced fat deposits in the thighs, hips, and breasts the androgenic effects from the progestins
· Chloasma (spotty darkening of the skin on the face). I
· nteractions. Birth control pills may not be as effective if you are taking certain medications. Some antibiotics, antifungals, anticonvulsants, herbs like St. John's Wort, can change the amount of the contraceptive hormones absorbed by the stomach and the metabolism of these hormones.
· Not suitable for everyone.Some women should not take pills if they have specific health conditions, including some types of diabetes, liver disease, cardiovascular disease. Women with risk factors for heart disease, such as those with high blood pressure or who are obese, are also at higher risk when on the Pill.
· Sexually transmitted diseases.
· Must be taken every day.
· Very rare are side effects like heart attack, stroke, clots etc which are now obsolete due to very low content of estrogen and progesterone in current day pills!!
Gals now tell me the most dreaded of all, it’s the weight gain..
Am I rite? Atleast for me it was..i was surprised that my weight popped from 53 to 56 in 3 months…I went berserk but attributed it to post marriage elements,,but the weight started to raise for the next qmonth too and I found ovral to be the convict..
Then I wanted to try this yasmin[the newer ocp in the market
It has drospirenone which is also a mild anti androgen which will kind of make u more prettier, less oily, less pimple..if u know what I mean?( I don’t want to make it complicated)
Yasmin not only prevents pregnancy, but also helps with a wide range of menstrual and female puberty difficulties. One benefit of Yasmin is that it helps reduce the effects of menstruation. Many women have reported that they feel less moody during their menstrual cycle and that they experience less bloating and cramping. Yasmin also helps with female puberty difficulties such as mild acne. Yasmin has been shown to decrease breakouts in many women. Additional benefits for Yasmin include less water retention and less premenstrual weight gain..
Isn’t it cool?..
And gals, I have lost my weight , from 56.5 to a cook 54 in 3 months..without exercise or diet!!
And and…no pimples or break outs…
So I thot I will share with my fellas..
The only problems with yasmin I found is less availability and a bit expensive(around 350 INR where as ovral was 85 INR) .
But its worth it.
I also want to warn u guys that some ladies have reported weight gain with it..wats the big deal yaar, any ocp will..but if its gona work on u, why not try..
Always consult a gynec before using it, and ladies above 35( as i have mentioned before that there is an increased tendency for increased blood clotting in any pills but its slightly higher than the conventional pills in yasmin;(( ), its better to avoid it pleeease!
I’ll rate it 4/5
For all gals who are on pills either for contraceptipon or PCOS, ormenstrual problems, yasmin is a good choice, provided u get ur gynec recommendation..love u all...
And yes i want to know, if u want health issues like this being discussed in my blog..please say so!